Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Living the Barista Life

                This summer, I took a job at the Pere Marquette hotel as “gourmet coffee attendant” and worked just about every morning at the coffee bar. I learned how much I love making coffee, and am learning more about it every day. From there, I took a job at Starbucks here in Peoria, and learned even more about how many different coffees and drinks there are. I do not know exactly what I want to do with my career, but hopefully someday I will own a coffee shop and enjoy coffee daily like I am able to now.
                Making drinks and making so many combinations of different drinks is such a fun experience. I get to talk to my customers, see how their day has been, and learn what is happening in their life (if they’re willing to tell me, of course). Since it is coffee, and some people believe it is “addictive”, many of my customers return daily. Not only do I make their coffee, I have almost become friends with them. Students here at ICC will see me in the hallway and wave at me, and the only reason they know me is simply because I serve them coffee each day.

                As I think about it, it’s hard to believe I have such a passion for doing something so small, like making coffee drinks and serving coffee. Although, learning about the different ways beans are roasted and has their own tastes is interesting. Combining different syrups and flavors with different types of beans and espresso drinks is very interesting as well. I sincerely enjoy each and every moment I am at work though, and enjoy every customer I serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment